Lisa Anne West, MD
Lisa Anne West, MD (née Collea) is a board-certified, fellowship-trained physician who is devoted to the study and practice of ophthalmology. Dr. West received her Bachelor of Science in Biology from Georgetown University. While at Georgetown, she was elected to the Sigma Xi Research Honor Society for her senior thesis research. She then matriculated to Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia which is where she decided to pursue a career in ophthalmology. Dr. West received the Dean’s nomination to be the student body representative for the career counseling and medical education task force at Jefferson.
She then returned to Georgetown University for her residency in ophthalmology at the Washington National Eye Center. Part of her training was at the Bethesda Naval Hospital where she cared for soldiers with ocular and facial injuries returning from the Iraq War. She received the William JG Davis award for Best Resident Research for her work on photorefractive keratectomy (PRK).
After graduation, Dr. West practiced general ophthalmology in the Washington, DC suburbs for two years before pursuing a fellowship in cornea, cataract and LASIK surgery at the prestigious Weill Cornell Medical Center. There, she gained experience with advanced techniques in cataract surgery, including the implantation of toric, multifocal and Crystalens intraocular lenses. Her training also included ocular surface reconstruction using amniotic membrane in the treatment of severe dry eye disease. Working with leaders in the field, she became skilled in the art of corneal transplant surgery and anterior segment reconstruction. She also advanced her training in refractive surgery (LASIK, PRK and Intacs) using state-of-the-art equipment.
Dr. West is pleased to offer the patients at TriCounty Eye Institute her expertise in cornea surgery, cataract surgery and dry eye disease. She offers each patient individualized, comprehensive, compassionate ophthalmic care. She believes patients should both understand their diagnosis and actively participate in the treatment process. Dr. West is available for both scheduled appointments and emergencies.
She is an active member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons and the Orange County Cornea Society.
Areas of Expertise
- Dry-eye and ocular surface disease evaluation
- Premium, complex and “laser” cataract surgery
- Cornea transplantation (full thickness and DSAEK)
- Pterygium surgery (primary and recurrent)
- Diabetic eye screening
- Glaucoma screening and treatment
- Routine eye exams
About Dr. West
- Board certified since 2008
- Received her MD from Jefferson Medical College in 2003
- Received her BS from Georgetown University in 1999
- Completed a transitional internship at INOVA Fairfax Hospital in 2004
- Attended the Georgetown University/Washington Hospital residency program in ophthalmology 2004-2007
- Received the William JG Davis Award for Best Resident Research project for her work on photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) 2007
- Completed a one-year corneal surgery fellowship at Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York 2009-2010
- Is an active member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons and Orange County Cornea Society